Youth and Tobacco Use
Youth use of tobacco products in any form is unsafe. Preventing tobacco product use among youth is critical to reducing tobacco use among the nation’s youth.
- Tobacco product use is started and established primarily during adolescence.
- Nearly 9 out of 10 adults who smoke cigarettes daily first try smoking by age 18.
- Flavorings in tobacco products can make them more appealing to youth.
- In 2021, 80.2% of high school students and 74.6% of middle school students who used tobacco products in the past 30 days reported using a flavored tobacco product during that time.
- In 2023, 90.3% of high school students and 87.1% of middle school students who used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days reported using a flavored e-cigarette during that time.